Thursday, March 12, 2009

The more things change . . .

I was reading Nibley last night and ran across something you all might be interested in.



"The great and wise of ancient days have failed in all their attempts to promote eternal power, peace, and happiness....They proclaim as with a voice of thunder...that man's strength is weakness, his wisdom is folly, his glory is his shame...Nation has succeeded nation... History records their puerile plans, their short-lived glory, their feeble intellect and their ignoble deeds. Have we increased in knowledge or intelligence? . . . Our nation, which possesses greater resources than any other, is rent from center to circumference, with party strife, political intrigues, and sectional interest . . . our tradesmen are disheartened, our mechanics out of employ, our farmeers distressed, and our poor crying for bread, our banks are broken, our credit ruined....What is the matter?"
This is not Hugh Nibley speaking. This is from Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith.
Comments, anyone?

25 Comments:

At March 13, 2009 at 8:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I borrow that book?

 
At March 13, 2009 at 9:26 PM , Blogger The Oregonians said...

I don't know, can you?

 
At March 15, 2009 at 6:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You remind me of my 6th grade teacher who wouldn't let me go to the bathroom until I said "May I go to the bathroom". I almost peed on his desk out of spite. Don't temp me to pee on your desk. >:-)

 
At March 15, 2009 at 11:34 AM , Blogger The Oregonians said...

The Nibley book should arrive at your house within the week.

 
At March 15, 2009 at 3:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't say you had to mail it. :) I would like to read it the next time I'm out your way.

 
At March 15, 2009 at 9:30 PM , Blogger The Oregonians said...

Trust me. With Nibley you need to have a lot of time. You'll enjoy it more having it at your disposal for as long as you need. I'm mailing it tomorrow. :)
(Why doesn't someone create a way to make a person smile without having him lying on his side?)

 
At March 16, 2009 at 9:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At March 16, 2009 at 9:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At March 17, 2009 at 10:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you hold down the Alt key and press the 6 key 3 times, you will get a Ü
A somewhat standing up smiling person. Ü

 
At March 17, 2009 at 10:17 PM , Blogger The Oregonians said...

Ü
Sonuvagun, it works. Who are you, "Anonymous"?
Ü Ü Ü

 
At March 18, 2009 at 2:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard you like games so here is hint #1. I like the picture of you and Shirley holding hands.

 
At March 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM , Blogger The Oregonians said...

Let's see,it can't be any of my children or my grandchildren because they wouldn't refer to "Shirley". Hmmm...two of my sons-in-law aren't into reading blogs....we're getting this narrowed down. How about another clue?

 
At March 18, 2009 at 7:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, the plot thickens. Hint #2
We have enjoyed some fine Mexican cuisine together....

 
At March 18, 2009 at 7:08 PM , Blogger The Oregonians said...

Well that's not much help. At one time or another, we've enjoyed Mexican food with probably 90% of our family. How about a clue regarding house hunting?

 
At March 18, 2009 at 8:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess is Julia. Only a girl would notice a picture with that much detail. Also, she is a graphic designer and therefore familiar with all the graphical keyboard shortcuts.

 
At March 18, 2009 at 8:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I was as lucky as Denny and Joe are to be house hunting in an economy such as the one we are experiencing right now. But sadly, that isn't a part of my agenda at this time.

Hint #3 I'm not in the 90% of your family that has enjoyed Mexican cuisine with you.
I'm not in the other 10 % either.

 
At March 19, 2009 at 9:01 PM , Blogger The Oregonians said...

Well, it looks like I've been going down the wrong road on these hints. I didn't know that anyone but family members were reading this blog. Time for another hint.

 
At March 20, 2009 at 6:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have been a good sport. I love to read your posts, and see your pictures. I especially enjoyed the one on the Sears ad. It's always fun to see Barb's creative mind in action.
I never make comments, but you asked a question I actually had an answer to Ü

Last clue: My Dad always teased me about cutting up material and sewing it back together again. He just didn't get it. The picture I like of you holding your wife's hand is part of a creation that was made by taking perfectly good pieces of fabric, cutting them up and then sewing them back together again!

 
At March 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM , Blogger Julia Warren said...

Wasn't me! Good guess though, Dave. Now I'm dying to know who this mysterious person is. Reveal yourself!

 
At March 20, 2009 at 4:38 PM , Blogger The Oregonians said...

And what a beautiful creation you made of those cut up pieces of material. It hung on a wall of our home in La Grande and always got raves from people who saw it. Unfortunately, our condo is too small for us to hang it, but it is safely stored away with many of our other treasures. I'm not sure you want your name published on this blog, so I'll just say "Thank you, DS" from Shirley and Me.
PS: The search for "Anonymous" resulted in the most comments this old blog has ever had. Thanks for that, too.

 
At March 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least I guessed correctly that it was a girl.

 
At March 21, 2009 at 5:12 PM , Blogger The Oregonians said...

Dave -
How can you be sure DS is a girl?

 
At March 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy told me.

 
At March 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Thanks for the book! You're the greatest.

 
At July 11, 2009 at 5:53 PM , Anonymous Julie said...

Tom and I have this book and we refer to it as "Timely..on the Nibley and the Nibless". ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home